Monday, December 14, 2015

Gratitude and Love..

Here's a list of things I am grateful for and that I love..

I am grateful for my drinking problem because it has given me the rich gift of sobriety.

I love my husband and our three sons and our labrador puppy.

I am grateful to my brain for never settling for discomfort and always sending me messages that I need to work on things (like giving up drinking and stopping over-thinking).

I love my sobriety and I love my mindfulness practice. Both of these things have transformed my life.

I am grateful for all the fun times I have had partying in my life because they sure were fun! I am not grateful for the miserable boozing which dominated the end of my drinking career but I am grateful for the memories of those because they will help keep me sober.

I love pop music and fun gatherings and lovely friends and good books and comfy pants and scented candles and fresh flowers and holidays.

I am grateful for living in a safe society where we don't experience fear and misery on a daily basis (like many in the world do).

I love rambling around the hill trails above our house with our dog.

I am grateful for the online communities here on my blog, on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and at Living Sober. (I am giving away a free copy of my book on Facebook this week as a thank you to the growing community there!)

I love all the warmth and honesty and support that gets shared around these online spaces.

I am grateful for my health and my body which does a pretty fine job of containing my brain and moving me around my busy life.

I love soda water, lemons in anything, cheese of any sort, the green smoothie/juices that come out of my nutra ninja thingy, chips and dip, steak with dijon mustard, salads filled with herbs, and white chocolate/coconut ice/ginger crunch when I let myself have it.

I am grateful and I love many things.

Gratitude and love.

What more could you wish for in life?

Love, Mrs D xxx  

8 comments:

  1. I love your post! I am grateful that I have finally realised that alcohol is not for me... its taken me a long time to come to this.. fought it for so long... but now finally I am there, it makes me sad, lonely, unreliable, twitchy and chips away at my self esteem. I am grateful that I have come to an end with it.. with plenty of time to turn things around xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also Mrs D..do you have the link to your 20/20 interview anywhere.. I am currently reading your book which I love - thank God for kindle.. I have more books about giving up alcohol and can buy them freely without being judged :-)) would love to see the interview if it is posted anywhere, thank you S X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous the link is here http://tvnz.co.nz/sunday-news/mrs-d-going-without-video-6009858 or here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuyIKAvjfPM
      xxx

      Delete
    2. thank you over the other side of the world so going to watch it now in bed x S

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Mrs D. Because of you we are grateful you had the courage to do an interview on tv and change the lives of thousands. If I had not seen that broadcast I would still be in a self loathing, body destroying state. Love and best wishes..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas!
    And thank you, for showing so many people how awesome being sober can be!
    Me included!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for you Mrs D you are wahine toa. Thank you for sharing your stories and your empathy and aroha that created this fabulous site. You have created a safe space that has become invaluable to so many. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely grateful for your blog that made me think and face my drinking problem. Your blog is the first I started reading. I also grateful to the sober community that I discovered. They provide so much support and undertanding. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete